The Ruston Police Department is in continual need of people who are interested in a law enforcement career. Applicants for positions of Police Officer and Communication Officer must first meet the following minimum requirements in order to qualify for admission to the civil service examination:
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be at least 18 years of age for Communication Officer.
- Must have graduated from a high school or possess a certified equivalent to a high school diploma issued by a State Department of Education.
The civil service examination is administered by the Louisiana Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Commission. A passing score of 75% or above is required before the applicant may continue with the application process. Test scores are valid for 18 months following the test, and test scores are transferable within the state.
Click here to download an application
Click here to download a study guide
for the Police Officer Examination
Applications can also be picked up at the
Ruston Police Department, or by contacting the
Office of State Examiner for Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service
Applicants who successfully pass the civil service examination then undergo extensive personal, educational, employment and criminal background checks by the department. Applicants must also successfully complete the following:
Physical fitness testing
Applicants must then go before an Oral Review Board which is comprised of selected members of the department. After completion of the interview process with the pool of applicants, the review board submits its recommendations to the Chief of Police.
Salary - The starting salary for an entry level police officer for the City of Ruston is currently $ 25,631 per year. After one year of service, the officer's salary will increase with the addition of State Supplemental Pay and a City Council approved cost of living increase to at least $30,266. The Communication Officer starting salary is $26,632. Communication Officers do not receive State Supplemental Pay but will adjust with a City Council approved cost of living increase each year.
Employee Health and Dental Insurance - The City of Ruston provides health insurance coverage to all full time employees of the City, including the police department. In addition to normal medical coverage, the coverage provided by the city also includes dental, vision and life. Coverage is provided for all employees, and is optional for their spouses, children and dependants. The city currently pays 75% of the monthly health insurance premium, while the employee picks up the remaining 25%.
Retirement - Officers of the Ruston Police Department are members of the Municipal Police Employees' Retirement System of Louisiana. Officers accrue retirement at the rate of 3.33 % per year of service and are eligible for regular retirement in this system when the member has:
25 years or more service, at any age;
20 years or more service, at age 50 or thereafter;
12 years or more service, at age 55 or thereafter.
Paid holidays - Officers of the Ruston Police Department enjoy the benefits of ten (10) paid holidays annually. These holidays include New Years, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2 days), Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Vacation - Full time employees of the Ruston Police Department accrue vacation time at a rate of 120 vacation hours annually. At the completion of 10 years of service, vacation time increases to 168 vacation hours annually, and after 20 years of service, the rate increases to 224 vacation hours annually.