Ribbon Cutting for Ruston Mural at Louisiana Center for the BlindJune 21, 2018
The City of Ruston, along with the Ruston Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Ruston Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, invite the community to the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Ruston’s newest mural on June 25 at 10:00 a.m. at the Louisiana Center for the Blind in Downtown Ruston.
The mural, painted by Louisiana Tech art professors Nick Bustamante and Whitney Causey, is a one-of-a-kind piece of art. It features “Ruston” painted in large, bright letters contrasting against a black background, but the truly unique aspect of this mural is that it says “Ruston” in braille under the painted design.
“We are so excited to add this unique and meaningful mural to Downtown Ruston,” said Mayor Ronny Walker. “This project not only celebrates our thriving arts community, but also recognizes the incredible impact that the Louisiana Center for the Blind has on the City of Ruston.”
Bustamante and Causey were given full artistic freedom to create the mural, which took roughly two months to complete.
“My goal was to create a design that engaged the community and highlighted the Louisiana Center for the Blind and the amazing role they play in Ruston as a whole,” said Whitney Causey. “I wanted the braille to encourage everyone to not only take a picture in front of it, but to come up and feel it, all while providing the blind community the opportunity to experience the ‘mural’ as well.”
The mural is located on the north side of a Louisiana Center for the Blind building on Trenton Street. If you are traveling south on Trenton Street/US-167, it can be seen just past the railroad tracks on the left. The location provides great visibility of the mural to vehicles passing by, while also offering a unique photo-op for those on foot in Downtown Ruston.
“We are honored to have been selected as a site for the mural,” said Pamela Allen, executive director of the Louisiana Center for the Blind. “The Louisiana Center for the Blind has been a proud member of the Ruston community since 1985. Our staff and alumni know that blindness is merely a characteristic which will not stop us from living full and productive lives. The mural will be another way to educate residents and visitors.”
The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be held at the mural site on Monday, June 25 at 10:00 a.m. For more information, please contact Tori Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org or 318-251-8647.
More Ruston News
- National Fitness Campaign Awards Ruston Grant to Fund Fitness Court March 11, 2019
- Louisiana Film Prize Competition Expands Filming Locations to Include Lincoln ParishJanuary 28, 2019
- Ruston named Louisiana’s Main Street of Year June 1, 2018
- New Retail Development Opening in Ruston April 30, 2018
- Lincoln Health Foundation Grants City of Ruston $1M to Help Improve the Health of the Community April 24, 2018
- Ruston Announced as Louisiana Certified Retirement CommunityMarch 22, 2018
- Ruston Selected as Finalist for RWJF Culture of Health Prize March 6, 2018
- 2017 Ruston Community Survey July 24, 2017
- Weyerhaeuser Relocating Regional Office to Ruston November 22, 2016
- City of Ruston Survey - we want to hear from you! What do you want to see come to Ruston? April 12, 2016
- Governor John Bel Edwards Visits Ruston February 5, 2016
- Downtown Ruston Receives Award December 10, 2015
- First Citywide Prayer Breakfast 'incredible'November 10, 2015
- Ruston Named one of the "Top 10 Best Places to Live in Louisiana"September 21, 2015
- Remembering Hurricane KatrinaAugust 28, 2015
- Ruston 11-year-old All-Stars Wins Regional Dixie World SeriesAugust 5, 2015
- Genesis Energy, L.P. Honored as Ruston's "Employer of the Month"August 4, 2015
- July 19, 2015 Declared Gena Welch DayJuly 19, 2015
- Ribbon Cutting for New Playground at Greenwood ParkJuly 16, 2015
- Northern Louisiana Medical Center Honored as Ruston's Employer of the MonthJuly 7, 2015
- Ruston Sets Guiness Record for World's Largest Peach CobblerJune 29, 2015
- Louisiana Tech University Honored as Ruston's "Employer of the Month"June 4, 2015