Permits & Inspections

The Permits and Inspections Department regulates and inspects construction for compliance with building code standards, manages floodplains within the City, provides code enforcement, and coordinates approval of construction plans with other departments.



Building Permit
Required for new construction, alterations, repairs, or additions with an estimated cost greater than $1,000 or if the work is structural such as removal or replacement of supporting timbers. A Building Permit is also required for construction of a swimming pool, and for moving a building.

The permit applicant is held responsible for correcting any code violations. For that reason it is generally helpful to have the contractor, rather than the building’s owner, apply for the Building Permit.
Trade Permits

Demolition Permit
Required for razing any permanent structure. The owner or contractor is responsible for arranging utility cutoffs prior to obtaining the demolition permit. The water and sewer lines must by capped by a licensed master plumber prior to issuance of the demolition permit.
Grading and Erosion Control Permit
Required for all land distrubing activities in accordance with City of Ruston Ordinance 1355 of 2001.
Moving Buildings Permit
Required for the placement of all structures including oversized accessory buildings and manufactered housing.
Sign and Billboards
Required for on premise and off premise signs or billboards.
Wireless Communication Towers
Required for all wireless communication facilities or media facilities.
Elevation Certificates
Required for new construction that may be within a flood plain. An elevation certificate from a licensed land surveyor is required before construction can begin and again after completion of construction. This helps prevent flood losses for the structure owner.



P.O. Box 2069 - Ruston, LA 71273 (318) 251-8621
Bill Payment Customer Service (318) 251-8675 City Directory


Instagram Icon
Louisiana Retirement Area Certified Logo
Main Street America Accredited Logo
Louisiana Development Ready Communities Logo